Re: A simple question

2003-04-22 10:18:02
The rhetoric would have us believe that frequent renumbering with IPv6
is seamless and effortless. I don't personally buy that, but there are
some assumptions there that perhaps should be challenged more directly
rather than in this oblique fashion.

yesterday we had to change an AAAA RR and PTR RR because one of our
servers got a new GigE interface to replace the old FastE.  no part
of ipv6 renumbers seamlessly, from where i sit.

If we accept the premise that frequent renumbering in IPv6 is not
seamless and is in fact painful and worth avoiding, then rather than
hiding the source of the pain behind a NAT perhaps we should try to
eliminate it: find a mechanism which facilitates pervasive multi-homing
with some stable view of layer-3 addressing from the layer above,
across re-homing events.

we did.  it was called A6.  now we're apparently on to something else,
like for example nothing, or for example pretending it's not a problem
after all.
--
Paul Vixie