Re: A simple question

2003-04-19 18:09:57
Thus spake <Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu>
There's this big assumption on the part of the pro-site-local crew that
we "need" a stable address.  I posit that this is a crock, and that
what we *need* to do is iron out the rough edges of IPv6 renumbering
so hosts don't care *what* they have, as long as they have *some*
prefix.

Changing the address on a host's interface is easy -- too bad there's a lot
more involved in renumbering.

For one thing, we need a TCP that can support address changes during a
session, and it can't rely on a deprecation period.  Beyond that, we'll need
widespread deployment of DDNS, which scares the heck out of most DNS admins
I know, with or without PKI.