Re: Internet Draft Guidelines Require Precise Formatting?

2003-04-23 08:28:26
Jeffrey Race wrote:

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:05:32 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
2. anyone who thinks the ietf formatting requirements are not easy has
not had to deal with very interesting formatting requirements.
It may not be difficult but it is not trivial and it may well be beyond
the ability of most non-techies.

OK, I'm going to say what many of us are thinking:

Sounds like a good filter to me. Why would we want it non-techies writing Internet-Drafts? We already get a lot of borderline stuff; open it up to marketroids and we'll be swamped.

Maybe some people in large organizations want to turn their documents over to tech writers; but I'm not convinced that's a good idea for specs. The more layers we have between the mind of the person implementing the spec and the minds of the people who conceived it, the more room there is for bugs to creep in.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com                      |