Re: Internet Draft Guidelines Require Precise Formatting?

2003-04-21 19:32:37
On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 08:38:38PM -0400, John C Klensin allegedly wrote:
Actually, no, it is not more hassle.   I've been using straight
emacs and its clones as my main I-D production/generation tool
for years.  Paragraphs are easy, pasting in boilerplate is easy,
indention is easy, keeping track of section numbers and
references is a major (but necessary) annoyance, but pagination
(and per-page headers and footers are a significant annoyance
that involve little payoff.  And there are huge advantages to
editing on exactly the document form the WG is looking at,
rather than having to transpose comments into some other
formatting setup that then generates the I-D format.

I also get nothing out of ^Ls in our documents, or headers and footers.
I wouldn't mind seeing them go.  However, section numbers are critically
important, and I think getting them wrong is the main danger of doing it
all by hand.