Re: A follow up question

2003-04-23 13:53:32

On Wednesday, April 23, 2003, at 03:24  PM, John C Klensin wrote:

As the competence level of the average ISP declines (which seems to have been a clear trend for the last several years), multihoming (in some form) needs to increase as the only satisfactory alternative... and it better not be only for the rich or the huge.

Yes!

Speaking from the Community Wireless Networking perspective, massive multihoming is a really good thing not just because of the problems with ISPs but because it's the most /appropriate/ (not necessarily easiest to wrap mind around) solution to the classic problem of CWN: I have this mesh of fixed homes with various antennas on their roofs pointing at each other ... some of them have ISP accounts some don't ... how do I start routing traffic through there from internal nodes to other internal nodes, or from inside to outside and vice-versa???

(a current solution using NAT (meshAP/locustworld) is not the answer ... various tunnelling methods would squander bandwidth)

simon