Re: what the "scope" disagreement is about

2003-04-30 15:24:28
Thus spake "Ofer Inbar" <cos(_at_)aaaaa(_dot_)org>
but I have seen nothing other than Tony's assertions that would make
me think this dicussion is about any of those things.  It puzzles me that
he keeps repeating them.

Tony, *why* do you think this discussion is about reachability?

Everyone else: Do any of you believe that's what this is about, aside
  from Tony's assertions and peoples responses to those assertions?

Well, I think there was some confusion while we sorted out exactly what
"scope" means, as one camp seems to define it as a reachability problem
while the other camp defines it as an identity problem.

Any time you pass locators across a "scope" boundary, using either
definition above, things break.  I think we all agree on that, so the exact
definition of "scope" doesn't seem so important.

There is a related issue, which was until recently confused with the first,
and that is whether ambiguous addresses should be allowed/encouraged for
local use.  It seems to be established that this is a bad idea, but unless
there is a workable mechanism to establish unique addresses for all networks
_without relying on topology_, I don't see the concept going away.