Re: site-local != NAT

2003-04-30 11:27:23
There were several proposals to remove the ambiguity in the current
SL, so continued dislike of them shows that is not the underlying
issue.

I don't think this conclusion is valid.  What I am certain of is that
our ability to evaluate the subtle differences between these proposals,
and the advantages and disadvantages of each, is compromised by a
widespread failure to respect the diversity of experiences and the
diversity of users' legitimate needs.  Under such circumstances, people
are forced to shoot down half-baked ideas, just as a means of damage
control, rather than trying to refine them.

As a result, I don't think any of the various proposals for unique
non-PA addresses have received adequate scrutiny.

Our task is to look at the overall system the way that network
managers really run (or want to run) it, then figure out
what it will take to make that happen.

funny, I thought our primary task was to design a network that could
support useful applications.

No that is the network managers task. One could argue that many of the
problems in making progress in the IETF are about this confusing of
roles.

Network managers don't design IP protocols, nor do they implement IP
stacks or routers.  If the protocols we design don't support what users
need from the Internet, there's nothing a network manager can do to fix
this.

Keith