RE: My point about the ambiguity of the question

2003-05-02 12:55:36
Keith Moore wrote:
So please explain how I misinterpreted. Everything that is
not about
ambiguity is about the simple ability to consistently limit
access or
visibility, and identify when that is being done.

False.  Forcing hosts or apps to do routing is about neither
of these. Forcing applications to be aware of topology is
about neither of these.

The existence of a prefix does not force host or apps to do routing or
be aware of topology. The only way to come to that conclusion is if you
mean that network managers expect apps they deploy to behave correctly
in the presence of limited access or visibility, and the defined prefix
shows there is a mechanism to do so.

Nothing is forcing the app to do anything, after all it could rely on a
service. Eliminating a defined prefix does not remove the expectation of
the network manager that apps will behave correctly on the deployed
network.

Voting to eliminate a defined prefix with the expectation that the
application will then see a flat routing space is an indirect effort to
prevent the network manager from deploying local scopes through routing
or access controls.

The IETF does not design networks, or make operational decisions.

Tony