Re: My point about the ambiguity of the question

2003-05-02 13:19:11
False.  Forcing hosts or apps to do routing is about neither
of these. Forcing applications to be aware of topology is
about neither of these.

The existence of a prefix does not force host or apps to do routing or
be aware of topology.

as long as the prefix is never used, you're entirely correct.

The only way to come to that conclusion is if
you mean that network managers expect apps they deploy to behave
correctly in the presence of limited access or visibility, and the
defined prefix shows there is a mechanism to do so.

the prefix doesn't help apps do that.  and the very assumptions behind
use of the prefix are what force apps to do that.

Nothing is forcing the app to do anything, after all it could rely on
a service.

in other words, we could create magic pixie dust if we only had magic
pixie dust...