RE: what the "scope" disagreement is about

2003-05-02 15:27:54
Tony,

Having picked on Keith in public a few days ago, it is your turn, and I'll make the same apology in advance. Even on the parts of this with which I agree, the content and style of the discussion is no longer helpful. So, with the understanding that I'm just a random member of the community who has no authority to tell anyone to do, or not do, anything, I want to make two observations and a few suggestions to you and everyone else who is posting to this list. Fwiw, if I hadn't had enough experience working with both you and Keith to value the experience and perspective of both of you when you are calm and thinking and explaining yourselves clearly, I wouldn't bother.

First of all, you have managed to convince me and, I think most others who have been listening, that "get rid of SL" is an answer to the wrong question. Whether it is the right answer or the wrong one is less important than identifying the right question and then sorting things out in that context. I think you have been trying to identify the right question, but your doing so has gotten repeatedly lost in the noise.

Second, it is clear to me that you and Keith have a profound disagreement about the character, state, and evolution of the IP architecture. The precise nature of that disagreement has been sufficiently obscured by differences in vocabulary and arguments about side-issues that I imagine that most readers of the list can't crisply identify the disagreement. I'm not even sure you and Keith can do that at this stage; I suspect, from the level of mis- and non-communication, that you cannot. I can try to explain it, but not this week (see below).

For whatever it is worth, I'd like to encourage everyone to take about a week off from this. The arguments that are being made today don't differ very much from those that were being made in late March. Anyone who hasn't been convinced yet --one way or the other-- is, IMO, much more likely to be convinced by quietly thinking about the arguments and statements, and generally letting things sink in, for a week or two than by more traffic that repeats the arguments yet another time.

And, for several other participants... There really are some subtle and very important architectural issues here (a subject on which I think Tony and Keith agree). _Please_ invest the time to try to read and understand the postings and the issues they are trying to address. They are not simple, or at least the right solutions aren't: if they were, I really hope we wouldn't be having discussions this lengthy or heated. When you read a few sentences of a posting and then fire off a response based on what you think that poster, or previous ones, are suggesting -- and more than a few postings have clearly resulted from that behavior-- you mostly just add to the noise. And the noise is getting seriously in the way of looking carefully at those real problems.

       thanks,
          john