RE: spam

2003-05-25 15:02:14
Well, actually the ISOC is the only *official* organization related to the
Internet. I mean the only organization with official, legal status. That's
why it is the umbrella for all the other internet-related organizations,
including the IETF, the IAB, etc.

You are right when you notice that nobody from the ISOC was there. This is
sad. I think that the ISOC should be the first to be present. Why leave the
technical experts only (i.e. the IETF) deal with this?

I personally think that the ISOC should be the first in charge of this
subject and of all related actions and procedures. The ISOC should call the
others (like the IETF) when needed, by example to testify, give a technical
advice, or take in charge some part of the procedure. Anyway, the ISOC
should be more present that it seems to be today. Now, we must admit that
the fact that you don't see the ISOC does not mean that the ISOC doesn't do
anything!

Back to your question : "Is the ISOC involved with this kind of stuff?" I
personally think that the answer is (should be?) clearly YES. At least
because it should be considered in charge of everything related to the
Internet, neither less nor more than any other organization for which it is
the umbrella. And, by the way, SPAM is more a societal problem than a
technical one... ;)

Lynn?

Eric Tomson,
Administrator and Secretary of the belgian Wallonia Chapter of the ISOC,
Member of the PIR .ORG Advisory Council.