Re: spam

2003-05-26 09:22:04
On Mon, 26 May 2003 08:56:43 +0200, Anthony Atkielski
<anthony(_at_)atkielski(_dot_)com>  said:

Even at a hundred dollars an hour, the cost of deleting spam each day with
the delete key (and even at the current rate of hundreds of spam per day) is
only $2-$3 ... several times cheaper than the daily cost of visiting a
restroom.

Note that visiting the restroom gets a LOT more expensive if you have to
remodel the restroom and add more stalls because everybody is doing it all
the time.

Similarly, if your *LAST* mail server was a Sun E6500 and 4 Mirapoint boxes and
various other small things like a load balancer, it's expensive to upgrade to a
new box just so all your users can spend money hitting delete...  Also,
remember that although 20 pieces of spam a day is only a 5% increase in
in my mail volume, I clear my stuff off the server on a regular basis.
For the user who gets 5-6 pieces of mail a day and only checks once a week,
that's a *big* jump in how much disk space they consume.

So we're spending a big chunk of money to pay for a bigger CPU to receive twice
as much mail as we'd
like (which would probably be even higher if we didn't have one person who
spends a *big* chunk of their day figuring what domains the spamhauses are
using THIS week so we can blackhole them), and pay for more disk space to
store all the stuff (and don't forget the second-order effects of needing
even MORE CPU/I/O to manage the bigger file store) - and all this so people
can JUST HIT DELETE ON IT ANYHOW.

What's wrong with this picture?

Sure, hitting delete isn't expensive for one person.  Scale that to our
80K mailboxes and include all the infrastructure costs, and suddenly you're
quite easily looking at $1M/year or more.