Re: This IETF discussion list

2003-06-03 15:29:51

This message seems to be a violation of the IETF Code of Conduct (RFC
3184) sections 2.1 and 2.2:

   1. IETF participants extend respect and courtesy to their colleagues
      at all times.

      IETF participants come from diverse origins and backgrounds and
      are equipped with multiple capabilities and ideals.  Regardless of
      these individual differences, participants treat their colleagues
      with respect as persons--especially when it is difficult to agree
      with them.  Seeing from another's point of view is often
      revealing, even when it fails to be compelling.

   2. IETF participants develop and test ideas impartially, without
      finding fault with the colleague proposing the idea.

      We dispute ideas by using reasoned argument, rather than through
      intimidation or ad hominem attack.  Or, said in a somewhat more
      IETF-like way:

            "Reduce the heat and increase the light"

It is clearly not unreasonable to challenge someones claims, nor
respectfully challenge their anecdotal experiences, but intimidation and
ad hominem personal attacks are clearly inappropriate.

I ask the IETF Chair to take the appropriate action.

Dean Anderson
President, Av8 Internet, Inc