RE: This IETF discussion list

2003-06-04 09:02:03
You can add me as well if you like, but I really think its your own reply
that was not fair. There is nothing from Richard's email that suggested
he's "pro-spammer" or "pro-troll". It's all regarding quility of discussions
on this list which have seriously deteriorated in the past week and his
message about keeping your personal attacks out of the list and not
judging somebody just based on what he/she believes is absolutly right.

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Michel Py wrote:

Added to the pro-troll and pro-spammer list: Richard Perlman.

Michel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Perlman [mailto:perl(_at_)lucent(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 6:53 PM
To: 'IETF Discussion'
Cc: harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no
Subject: Re: This IETF discussion list

All:

I have been loosely tracking the SPAM discussion and really had nothing
significant to add.  However, a related posting did catch my attention
and
interest, enough so to warrant a response.

While I certainly am not interested in taking sides on the personal
accusations that have been seen recently, I do have serious concerns
about
the message quoted below.  I personally detest the daily deluge of
unwanted
unsolicited e-mails I receive.  However, I would be even more upset to
find
that one's belief or support for or against any topic should be the
criteria
by which their contributions were judged.

As despicable as I may find the concepts, opinions and thoughts of
others, a
world in which the expression of only those ideas that I found
acceptable
would be far worse.

Having said that, I do want to be clear, that while I think there needs
be freedom for expression of ideas, that expression must be done in a
way
that encourages discussion and values the participation of everyone.
There
is no room for personal remarks and attacks in a conversation of ideas.

Richard

On 6/3/03 15:00, "Dean Anderson" <dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com> quoted: