Re: authenticated email

2003-06-04 04:15:48
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
I thought I'd try this....

is there any particular disadvantage or centralization of power implied in me signing this message with my PGP key?

Is there an IETF PGP keyserver somewhere?

Did you store the key securely on the keyserver?

Which keyserver?  Which port?  The particular network I connect to is
blocking most ports, so I can't retrieve your public key.

On another hand, the same particular network recommends that its users
use a particular MUA, which has built-in certs of certain CAs, which
allows readers of this email to trust I am who I claim to be, "legally"
(as if I showed an ID).

If not, is there any particular reason that I shouldn't do this all the time?

Will the government of the country you live in allow you to store
your public key on a public PGP keyserver?  (a particular government was
_not_ allowing it as of 1997, and if things have changed since then I'm
happy, but the "try and find out" way is high risk for me.)

Alex
GBU