Re: authenticated email

2003-06-04 12:22:06
Uri Blumenthal writes:
Let me ask something in return: do you think that
just the act of signing mail -- with no trust
roots implied -- could help? My sense is that it
might in a sow-the-seeds kind of way for some
later goodness (it's as you say not a solution).
I too would be happy to hear downsides.

It might be good - but I think it will be ineffective in
spam-war.

Well, "effective" is a relative term. I guess I
don't see this as having any ultimate solution;
it's an arms race. The question is whether doing
so would give enough marginal value in and of
itself (which might even be neutral value, but it
would be better if it were at least slightly
positive) to get us to the next step where we can
possibly apply third party vouching, authorization
etc to the mix.

Thus, my question -- and I think Harald's as well
-- is mostly a *tactical* one, not a technical
one. IMO, it's the tactics which will allow or
inhibit forward progress.

                Mike