Re: Engineering to deal with the social problem of spam

2003-06-08 00:39:36
vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

What do you expect me to do?  I won't answer your draft notice
"hell no I won't go!" but I'm not going to enlist until I have a
glimmer of where you're sailing and what's under the decks.

at this point I'm still looking for the answer to some simple questions.

1. does the ietf as a community generally believe that provable
   mutual consent between a sender and recipient is an achievable
   (technically) and desireable (by the global user base) goal?

2. if #1, does this same community believe #1 can be accomplished
   by means of negative pressure (bayesian, dcc, blackhole lists,
   hashcash, etc) on the current e-mail system (smtp, rfc822, mime)?

3. if !#2, then does this same community have any interest in being
   a creative, ambitious force that brings this functionality to
   the masses, or should this work be pursued independently/elsewhere?

there are other issues, like whether there has to be a flag day for e-mail
and whether gateways into/outof "old style e-mail" can exist, but frankly
those are details which won't matter (to this mailing list) if the answers
to the above continue to be "not really", "well probably" and "elsewhere"
as they have been since may 25 when i entered this thread.
--
Paul Vixie