Re: Engineering to deal with the social problem of spam

2003-06-08 16:00:14
Dean writes:

Which is still practically nothing, compared to the
bandwidth consumed by http (gifs and jpegs), IM (and
its picture sharing), (legal) movie and MP3
downloads, and other stuff.

I know, which is why I specified e-mail bandwidth specifically.  One cannot
say that spam is actually putting a load on network bandwidth, since there
are much greater bandwidth hogs on the Internet

Also, you mentioned something about porn to children.
This is already illegal. If its a Type 1 or Type 2
operation, they are easy to shutdown.

Of course, spammers tend to send to e-mail addresses, not to human beings.
Whoever has access to the mailbox receives the mail.  But I don't see any
reason why pornographers would target children, since their only real market
is adults.

Unfortunately, quite a lot of this type of spam
is Type 3 spam, just meant to shock and annoy, and
not meant to really sell porn.

I don't even know what is Type 1 or Type 3 in my mailbox, since I delete it
all without reading it.