Re: The requirements cycle (Re: WG review: Layer 2 Virtual....)

2003-07-13 11:01:35
Harald,

HTA> you are talking about actions that could be taken by all the actors in the
HTA> system. I was talking about the actions that the WG could take on its own.

THe original discussion was about problems with IESG-related actions.
Your introduction of a derivative thread about actions the WG might take
was cast as there being "no excuse" for their not taking those actions.

Since the focus had been on problems due to IESG-related barriers that
were viewed as frankly inappropriate, directing the focus over to the WG
is a distraction.  (Note that, alas, it has at least had that effect.)

HTA> - A gatekeeper group is imposing a requirement that must be fulfilled
HTA>   before the document can be published.
HTA> - The working group feels that this requirement is unreasonable.

HTA> Now, assume that both parties are acting in good faith, both parties are
HTA> reasonably competent at their work, and that both parties are interested in
HTA> seeing the document published.

Sorry, no.

With respect to the situation that I have twice described very
carefully, the imposed requirements are not reasonable and not
"competent".

Let's remember that competence relates to specific skill-sets. The
skill-set at issue here is one of working group oversight. The problems
being discussed are/were about difficulties in IESG
administration/oversight of WGs.

There needs to be equivalent focus about problems with WG chair
management, WG participant actions, and even IETF-wide participation in
review, etc. of working group.

But we will not make progress if any attempt to focus on a specific
component of this system results in defensiveness or a redirection of
focus.

So, sorry, but no we cannot assert that the AD in the hypothetical was
acting competently, with respect to WG management.  Please review the
description of the circumstances that I described.  I repeat:  they were
carefully cast, and they DO occur in the IETF.

Therefore, the rest of your latest response to me pertains to some
independent sub-thread of all this.  I have no comment on it, because I
would rather get some discussion of one thread at a time, rather than
jumping around.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>