Re: Solving the right problems ...

2003-08-27 09:55:11
Using a 1D numbering plan to support 5 (?) distinct dimensions (plan, technology, network routing, global host addressing and interface identification) looks like X121 or old telephony.

Which additionnal information do you need to move accross if you use fixed size dimension and gives evey dimension its separate numbering authority/structure and then concatenate them into a multidimentional address? Like for mobiles.

I remember when CCITT voted they would never allocate addresses of more than X bytes. (was it not 32?). Would anyone recall if at that time they discussed some kind of layer splitting? Old experience often carries interesting concepts. They were probably thinking hierarchichal instead of multidimensional?
jfc