Re: Solving the right problems ...

2003-08-27 10:33:17
On woensdag, aug 27, 2003, at 18:52 Europe/Amsterdam, jfcm wrote:

Using a 1D numbering plan to support 5 (?) distinct dimensions (plan, technology, network routing, global host addressing and interface identification) looks like X121 or old telephony.

Which additionnal information do you need to move accross if you use fixed size dimension and gives evey dimension its separate numbering authority/structure and then concatenate them into a multidimentional address? Like for mobiles.

I have three problems with this.

First, "fixed size" always means "wrong size".

Second, with going from 20 to 40 bytes for the IP header I feel we've pretty much used up our overhead increasing budget for this decade.

Last but not least: having an identifier and a locator in the same packet is useless as we have mechanisms to authenticate identifiers and mechanisms to authenticate locators, but without mechanisms to authenticate the association between a locator and an identifier, we open up a whole new world of denial of service. Fixing this by carrying auth data (= a signature) inband would be an unacceptable increase of overhead, and doing it out of band would be redundant as it is much more efficient to carry the actual data out of band than the authentication data for the inband data.

I remember when CCITT voted they would never allocate addresses of more than X bytes. (was it not 32?).

32 bytes? This wasn't for voice, was it? I really wouldn't care much for dialing 75 digit phone numbers...

The way I see it:

We now have FQDNs that identify services or hosts, and we have IP addresses, that identify hosts or routing+interface. In order to decrease the ambiguity to managable levels, we need to move the FQDNs and especially IP addresses away from identifying hosts, and introduce and explicit host or "stack name" identifier. Host identifiers should look like IPv6 (maybe optionally IPv4) addresses, in order to be able to keep using our current protocols that expect 16/4 bit values. (And there isn't much of substance to be gained by giving them a different shape.) Where necessary, FQDNs can be replaced by application specific namespaces with a system to map those names to host identifiers to go along with such a new space. The hard part is coming up with a way to do the host/location mapping in a way that is simple, fast, cheap, secure, flexible and reliable.

Iljitsch