RE: A modest proposal - allow the ID repository to hold xml

2003-09-02 14:19:56
Paul Hoffman / IMC writes:
 > At 1:22 PM -0400 9/2/03, Rosen, Brian wrote:
 > >2) Ability to cross reference documents
 >
 > That benefit only appears if all, or a significant proportion, of the
 > Internet Drafts are in XML or a similar format. That's not what you
 > proposed.

   It seems to me that a fairly simple hack could be
   consed up to generate HTML or whatever for current
   RFC's and drafts given .txt input which automatically
   goes the through the references section to make
   hyperlinks. In fact that would be a pretty
   nifty feature regardless of this debate...

Such hacks already exist

        http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/

and work fairly well for the more recent RFCs, which follow a fairly
regular set of formatting rules. But internet-drafts are sufficiently
irregular in format that this approach doesn't seem to work all that well.

And why should you have to guess when you don't have to?

                        Ned