Re: Proposal to define a simple architecture to differentiate legitimate bulk email from Spam (UBE)

2003-09-07 12:55:54

Information theory says that such things are impossible.  One can not
construct a spam-free protocol because this is the same problem as
constructing a system free of covert channels, which information theory
says is impossible.  It is not simply hard. It is impossible, like
perpetual motion.

After I first posted this on IETF a while back, someone suggested that
covert channels require cooperation, and that spam therefore isn't a
covert channel.  I have recently discussed the issue at length with some
PhD's and other very smart people from one of my old companies, and we
determined after a great deal of discussion that covert channels (and
similar concepts like side channels and information leakage, and other
terms used in information theory literature)  don't require cooperation as
a necessary condition.  The term "Covert Channel" is mostly used in
liturature analyzing operating systems. However, the general concept is
referred to in non-OS liturature as "Side Channels" or "Information
Leakage", or "Sneaky Channels". The concepts are essentially the same.

Indeed spam can be modeled as a communication channel that is multiplexed
with email, which is itself multiplexed with TCP, which is multiplexed
with IP, which may be multiplexed over a variety of physical media.  It
was also realized (towards the end) that spam is in fact a cooperative
covert channel, since the reader cooperates when the receive the spam and
open it for reading.  Only _after_ reading the spam message are some
people offended, but this is of no consequence to the application of
information theory because the communication has already taken place. All
they can do, having now detected the abuse, is try to suppress further
abuse that is similar.

But this is a simpler way to think about it:  Spammers can continue to
claim they are legitimate emailers, because they _ARE_ legitimate, so far
as we know before they send email. And even so far as we know _before_
someone _READS_ their email.  Only after reading their email, and perhaps
only after some investigation, can we know for sure that the sender and
message is conducting abuse or in violation of their AUP.

Some might ask about blocked abuse. Subsequent abuse is blocked because it
is similar to previous abuse (by IP address with blacklist), or by content
with content filters.  We can anticipate some likely abusive content, but
cannot identify all abusive content in advance.

However, I looked at your proposal, and it appears that you are trying to
create a "pull" mechanism rather than a "push" mechanism for message
delivery . This paradigm has already been implemented as "Usenet News".
It is not immune to spam, though it distributes spam and other broadcast
messages much more efficiently than typical email systems.  However,
bandwidth consumed by spam email (indeed bandwidth consumed by _ALL_ email
combined), is still minor, so we are really not in need of a more
efficient means of distributing spam, or email for that matter.

                --Dean