Re: IETF58 - Network Status

2003-11-14 09:31:19
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 03:51:34PM +0100, Roland Bless wrote:
You're lucky that your driver and card support this.

I don't know if there's a way to make this work for those cards where
the ap selection is done in firmware.

Unfortunately, the driver for my Lucent card doesn't support this
command and I presume that it's not possible w/ the current firmware. As
someone already stated: though the card was quite good and stable at
past meetings, this time it was really annoying. Either the firmware
needs an update to take the new conditions (mixed environment w/ ad-hoc
nets) into account or I'll have to change the vendor.

I strongly recommend the Cisco Aironet 350 cards.  They're a bit more
expensive, but they support "iwlist eth1 scan" (to list all available
access points and their ssid's), as well as forcing the use of a
specific access point via "iwconfig eth1 ap <macaddr>".  They also
have a stronger transmitter (100mW), and a more sensitive receiver, so
they tend to work better in marginal areas (such when you're trying to
sponge off a carelessly left wide-open Linksys router in someone's
apartment in NYC :-).

I generally travel with an old Orinoco (Lucent) card for lending to
people who need cards, and a prism 2 card for special situations
(i.e., airsnort and special driver hacking), but most of the time, I
use the Aironet 350 card as the best, most flexible 802.11b client
adapter that I've found to date.

                                                - Ted