IETF58 - Network Facts

2003-11-19 09:51:35
I am still collecting data from the IETF 58 network, when I can state
additional facts I will post them along this thread.  Until then, here are
some facts that correct messages posted previously.

All wireless access points were set at 1 milliwatt on channel 6 when they were
first deployed.  On and after Monday these value were changed.  We did not
run all access points on 1 milliwatt on channel 6 beyond Sunday night.

10% of the community using a wireless NIC was operating in ad-hoc or AP mode
at some point during the meeting.

I noticed many people in the terminal room using a hard wire connection.  When
I did a non-scientific survey of a sample of these users, they did not have a
wireless card at all.  Cost of the terminal room is not appropriate here.

If these volunteers didn't step forward, there would be no network.  Double or
triple the meeting fees, it wouldn't cover the cost of suitable replacements
for the talented volunteers or the hardware on temporary loan.  I've run
those numbers, those are the facts.

-------In other news------
(Think Red Cross, don't think Power Company)

I had six people come up to me on Thursday to let me know that their wireless
connection was acceptable (they used words like great, and no problems).  I
hope that more people would take the time to document their positive
experiences.  This will give us more perspective on the total experience and
it is the only payment these volunteers get from this community.

At this point, we know the issues, we know the complaints.  Right now, it
would be nice to hear where the network did work, and some positive comments.
A message to 58crew(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org would be great.

I am going silent on this list for a while, don't want to stir things up too
much.  Responses will be made privately if warranted.

--Brett