Re: IETF58 - Network Facts

2003-11-20 10:51:49
In message
<9BF66EBF6BEFD942915B4D4D45C051F3E8663F(_at_)dyn-tx-exch-001(_dot_)dynamicsoft(_dot_)
com>, Adam Roach writes:
Theodore Ts'o wrote:

Would it be possible to publish a list of MAC addresses that were
operating in ad-hoc or AP mode?  If all of the happened to come from a
signle manufacturer, that might be a very interesting data point.

A lot -- possibly even a majority -- of the cards I saw operating in
ad-hoc mode were using mac address prefixes that aren't assigned
to any manufacturer by the IEEE [1]. Many started with the octet "C0".
I even saw a card in ad-hoc mode with a MAC address of FF:FF:FF::FF:FF:FF.

I saw some unicast TCP packets sent to MAC address FF:FF:FF::FF:FF:FF
-- I have no idea how that happened...