Re: IETF58 - Network Facts

2003-11-20 11:14:47
Is that 11xx xxxx as in local group address or xxxx xx00 as in universal
unicast?

Tom Petch

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Roach <adam(_at_)dynamicsoft(_dot_)com>
To: 'Theodore Ts'o' <tytso(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>; Brett Thorson
<bthorson(_at_)foretec(_dot_)com>
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>;
58crew(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org <58crew(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Date: 20 November 2003 17:23
Subject: RE: IETF58 - Network Facts

Theodore Ts'o wrote:

Would it be possible to publish a list of MAC addresses that were
operating in ad-hoc or AP mode?  If all of the happened to come from a
signle manufacturer, that might be a very interesting data point.

A lot -- possibly even a majority -- of the cards I saw operating in
ad-hoc mode were using mac address prefixes that aren't assigned
to any manufacturer by the IEEE [1]. Many started with the octet "C0".
I even saw a card in ad-hoc mode with a MAC address of FF:FF:FF::FF:FF:FF.