Re: WLAN's and trains (was: IETF58 - Network Facts_

2003-11-20 12:30:29
Gordon(_dot_)Lennox(_at_)cec(_dot_)eu(_dot_)int wrote:
<<BNSF (Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway) has started to
deploy Wi-Fi wireless LAN systems extensively in rail yards to allow
crews to remotely control engines used to make up trains. These Wi-Fi
systems are connected to a control panel that mimics the control
panel of a diesel locomotive -- "You can even blow the horn,"
Campbell said -- and are both more efficient and less hazardous than
manned locomotives.>>

Thanks, I didn't know about that one. For more on WLAN and trains, google the following:

-NetSeal Avecra (in-train restauration's cashier syncs with station's
 mainframe)
-Virgin in UK (WLAN hotspots alongside tracks)
-GNER in UK
-Click TGV in France
-PointShot in the Bay Area
-last IETF in Japan, train from airport to city.
-I think there is a WLAN'ed train in Finland too.

So at least we know one place not to take the WiFi-enabled horde that
is the IETF road-show!

I think IETF'ers went to Japan and tried a WLAN'ed train near Tokio.

Alex