Re: IETF58 - Network Status

2003-11-19 11:11:20
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Kevin C. Almeroth wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

As long as we're bitching about the network: would it be possible to
start doing some unicast streaming of sessions in the future? Access to
multicast hasn't gotten significantly better the past decade, but
streaming over unicast is now routine as the codecs are so much better
these days, as is typical access bandwidth. I'll happily take 40 kbps
MPEG-4 audio only; the video is so badly out of sync that it is
unwatchable most of the time anyway.

if you want to show up with encoders I'll give you an audio/video feed...
then you can baby your boxes and not go to any meeting you want all week
just like me. I would be able lot cheaper and less work if the multicast
folks just paid to go to the meeting like normal people.

Actually, I'm not even sure I agree with this.  The reason is because if
we had more than a handful of people watching remotely, it would add quite
a bit of congestion to the network link.

So, if you are willing to be sent a unicast stream and then provide the
bandwidth to replicate it to everyone else in the world who wants it by
unicast, then I think we have a doable solution.

I'm sorry I sort of assumed that would be necessary for anything beyond
minimal bitrates... We source around 6Mb/s from the ietf, even the sources
we reflect to other multicast streams (like the ssm sources) we do from
some location off of the conference network, such as the UO.

-kevin

Joel Jaeggli           Unix Consulting
joelja(_at_)darkwing(_dot_)uoregon(_dot_)edu