Re: IETF58 - Network Status

2003-11-19 11:54:36
I don't think so, sorry. The network setup is not different (it should not be),
if we have a host or not. I'm convinced the secretariat has the expertise to do
it well. We have been in the same hotel other times, and it worked fine. We
just need to discover exactly what happened, and most probably comparing with
Vienna could be a good way to attack the problems !

Also, there are still few companies willing to host IETF. I've offered Madrid
(Spain) since 2.5 years ago ... the process is very slow. The secretariat
already visited the hotel, and they agreed that is a very good installation, if
I'm not wrong, their words were "excellent, one of the best properties that we
never seen" (actually the bigger hotel in Europe), and it already has Ethernet
(with IPv6, for free) in every guest room. The network is ready in every
meeting room, in the corridors, ... We have already organized big events there.

The issue, according to what I talked last week with the Secretariat and Harald
(just a very few minutes), is that the hotel is not located downtown, but just
in front of the airport, and they argue the transport isn't good.

I can tell that there is no metro, right, but there are 4 bus lines in the
door, a free shuttle to the airport (then metro 12 minutes to the center of the
city), and I offered also a free shuttle service to downtown. Even more, a taxi
either to the metro or to downtown will cost less than 4-5 Euros (what about
sharing it among different participants). I don't see the problem, but of
course I'm local and know it very well.

My proposal also included a social, and may be a change in the schedule of the
meetings. Trying to lunch downtown at 11:30 is impossible (of course no problem
if in the hotel), or even to dinner at 17:30, so I suggested trying to adapt
the agenda to the local timing, have a kind of "extended coffee break" or snack
before the last meeting (i.e. plenary), then have dinner after, starting at
20:30-21:00.

And I know the cost of the IETF in Madrid will be probably one of the cheaper
... and hopefully very well attended.

Anyway, the target was 2004, but now is too late. I'm preparing a short report
to try to convince Harald and whoever needs to be convinced and I will be happy
to circulate it in this list.

Now I already offered Madrid for 2005, and 1.5-2 years later in Barcelona. But
unless we react soon, the hotel pre-booking that I did, will go for 2005 also.

But of course, my offer can't last for ever. Actually is costing me more time
and effort to convince the IETF to come here, than probably setup it, even with
a good network ;-)

Regards,
Jordi