RE: i18n name badges

2003-11-20 08:21:39
Actually, I think RFID is much more expensive than bar codes, and
it's even more expensive the more you use it.

With barcode, you pay once for the readers.  Printing barcodes on badges
doesn't cost anything.  RFID tags cost money every time you make a badge,
plus the readers are what, 10X the cost of a barcode reader now?
RFID tags with storage are currently pretty expensive, and unnecessary, IMO.
Just a unique serial number and the registration database is sufficient.

I think we can make both optional.  Barcode is easily optional, just
don't swipe in.   I think you can easily lower the range of RFID so that
accidental swiping isn't likely.  You can also just decline to get the
barcode or RFID tag.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
[mailto:jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 4:28 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: i18n name badges

It should be RFID, cheaper, and easier, not only for the blue sheets.

The badge could be pre-configured with the data from our own
IETF registration.

The badge will store the names of the people who we have been
talking during the week, and data like when, how much time,
.... We can then use an inexpensive reader to get a small
database out of it.

Someone can complain about privacy issues, but I feel that is
the same now when the blue sheet is circulated, or the
attendance list is in the web site, right ?

It will save a lot of time (money) to all of us, including
the IETF secretariat.

Regards,
Jordi