RE: i18n name badges

2003-11-21 07:42:45

As to the name badges, it seems to me that allowing an optional field
on the
registration form and name badge for name in Unicode seems eminently
fair
to those whose names use a Non-AASCII alphabet.

As far as the bluesheets, I have been told that the only purpose for
these
is to estimate meeting size for room assignments. If this is true, it
seems to
me that  having a few people (WG chair and perhaps a relevant AD or
secretariat member) estimate attendance
would be cheaper than scanners etc. let alone RFID.  Allowing people
to register by sending an email
to a special mailing address and using a message counter might save
some ink and speed up the bluesheet movement.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf_censored-admin(_at_)vesuvio(_dot_)ipv6(_dot_)tilab(_dot_)com
[mailto:ietf_censored-admin(_at_)vesuvio(_dot_)ipv6(_dot_)tilab(_dot_)com]On
Behalf Of John
Stracke
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 8:45 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: i18n name badges

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

It should be RFID, cheaper, and easier, not only for the
blue sheets.

How would RFID be cheaper than barcodes? Someday, maybe,
but today the
tags are expensive--according to CNet, "depending on
volume, customers
can expect to pay 30 cents to $1 per radio tag".  The IETF would be
low-volume, so  we'd probably be paying closer to $1
apiece.  So just
the tags for just one meeting would cost more than a passel
of barcode
scanners.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com                         |

This message was passed through
ietf_censored(_at_)carmen(_dot_)ipv6(_dot_)cselt(_dot_)it, which is a sublist
of
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed. Decisions on
what to pass are made solely by IETF_CENSORED ML
Administrator (ietf_admin(_at_)ngnet(_dot_)it).