Re: national security

2003-12-08 10:17:26

On 7 Dec 2003, at 07:21, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

I don't think this is an oversight, I'm pretty sure this was intentional. However, since in practice the BGP best path selection algorithm boils down to looking at the AS path length and this has the tendency to be the same length for many paths, BGP is fairly useless for deciding the best path for even low ambition definitions of the word.

For the service aspects of F we're more concerned with reliability than performance. Recursive resolvers ask questions to the root relatively infrequently, and the important thing is that they have *a* path to use to talk to a root server, not necessarily that they are able to automagically select the instance with the lowest instantaneous RTT (and continue to find a root regardless of what damage might exist in the network elsewhere).

For example, local routing policies might lead a resolver in South Africa to select a path to 192.5.5.0/24 in California over the node in Johannesburg under normal operation. We hope, though, that in the event that the resolver becomes isolated from California, a path exists to Johannesburg which will allow F-root service to continue reliably (and, for example, to allow names under ZA corresponding to local, reachable, services to continue to resolve).

The selection of anycast node has more importance when you consider the other, non-service role of F, which is to sink attack traffic: we'd like to sink attack traffic as close to its source as possible. Fortunately the rough-hewn and clumsy hammer of BGP path selection seems good enough to attempt to attain that goal right now, since our routing policy generally leads people to favour a local node (peer) over a global node (transit) through application of pre-existing routing policy. This is a natural result of the common truth that peering paths are cheaper than transit ones.

Joe