Re: /48 micro allocations for v6 root servers, was: national security

2003-12-08 16:08:05
Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
                                                      Imagine if somebody
flubs and withdraws a /12 and announces a /12 worth of /28....

That's why I suggested relaxing the filters only within a designated
block.  So (for IPv4) the /12 worth of /28s gets ignored, but the /32s
in the micro-allocation block are accepted.  It always seemed odd to me
that we allocate a /24 per anycast service, and worry about the address
space wastage, when all the anycast services we can expect to find useful
in IPv4 will comfortably fit into less than a single /24.

If there's a problem due to the need for 100% implementation of
the relaxation of prefix length filters, we should allocate a
micro-allocation block for IPv6 *now*, while the number of routers
requiring reconfiguration is relatively small.  I propose 0:1::/32,
which is distinctive, causes no fragmentation, and is in a region of
the address space already recognised as being for weird stuff.

-zefram