Re: /48 micro allocations for v6 root servers, was: national security

2003-12-08 15:39:23
On 8-dec-03, at 21:00, Paul Vixie wrote:

for example, bill says above that "/35 routes
are being discouraged" and that's probably true but "by whom?" and "where?"

It is generally understood in the routing community that some kind of prefix length filtering is desirable and/or necessary. So the question becomes: on which bit boundary do we filter? This question seems to be answered by:

http://lacnic.net/en/chapter-4.html
http://ftp.apnic.net/apnic/docs/ipv6-address-policy
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6-policies.html
http://www.arin.net/policy/ipv6_policy.html
http://www.iana.org/ipaddress/ipv6-allocation-policy-26jun02

(All the same document, slightly different versions.) It says:

"4.3. Minimum Allocation

RIRs will apply a minimum size for IPv6 allocations, to facilitate prefix-based filtering.

The minimum allocation size for IPv6 address space is /32."

I don't see how giving out micro allocations can possibly be compatible with this policy.