Re: /48 micro allocations for v6 root servers, was: national security

2003-12-10 07:29:35
Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 8-dec-03, at 21:00, Paul Vixie wrote:

for example, bill says above that "/35 routes
are being discouraged" and that's probably true but "by whom?" and "where?"

It is generally understood in the routing community that some kind of prefix length filtering is desirable and/or necessary. So the question becomes: on which bit boundary do we filter? This question seems to be answered by:

http://lacnic.net/en/chapter-4.html
http://ftp.apnic.net/apnic/docs/ipv6-address-policy
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6-policies.html
http://www.arin.net/policy/ipv6_policy.html
http://www.iana.org/ipaddress/ipv6-allocation-policy-26jun02

In fact, we have a shorter and easier to read document giving details of minimum allocation lengths. It was produced at the request of the routing community and can be found at:

   <http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/smallest-alloc-sizes.html>

We update it when we receive a new block from the IANA.

Regards,

--
leo vegoda
RIPE NCC