Re: /48 micro allocations for v6 root servers, was: national security

2003-12-08 16:02:26
[my apologies for burning so much bandwith]

On 8-dec-03, at 22:17, Zefram wrote:

Just wondering, as I have about IPv4 anycast allocations: why can't we
designate a block for microallocations, within which prefix length filters aren't applied? The number of routes in the DFZ is the same either way;
is there any technical reason why /64 or /128 prefixes, or /32 in IPv4,
can't be used? I'm not a routing person, so apologies if this is somehow
unspeakably dumb.

In RFC 3513 (section 2.6) it more or less says that anycast addresses must be host addresses and they must be propagated throughout the region where there are interfaces configured for the anycast address. So if there are root servers sharing an anycast address all over the globe, there must be a globally visible /128 for that root server.

So no, this isn't dumb. Also, if anycast addresses are going to come from micro allocations there is no particular reason to stop at 48 bits. A prefix size that is different from what millions of end users will be getting might in fact be a plus.