Re: More frustrating that not having [ietf] (Fw: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender)

2003-12-17 14:54:32
On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:14:43PM -0500, shogunx wrote:
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Mark Smith wrote:

I find this more frustrating. I have a dynamic IP address, because fixed IP
address ADSL isn't very common here in Australia. So I use DYNDNS to map my
domain MX records. I can't get matching PTR records.

I'm assuming my mail bounced because I don't have matching PTR and MX
records.

Why should email assume fixed IP addresses for email delivery, or rather,
matching PTR and MX records ?

You could have the first authoritative nameserver listed with your
registrar as the dyndns address, then do your dns locally for your domain.
Two scripts on http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/technology.html allow this,
regenerating the zone file every time the address changes.  The two
scripts run under client/server model presently.  They would have to be
merged or called sucessively to make it work on one host.

The problem is how do you update the PTR record?  It's owned by the
ISP, not by you.  My solution to the problem is to rent a 1U space at
a colo facility (via a co-op arrangement with a dozen or so
like-minded folks in Boston) which runs my DNS and my mail server, and
since it is at a fixed IP address, it avoids this kind of brain
damage.  It costs me $50/month for the 1U rackspace plus fixed IP
address at colo facility, but if you have dynamic IP address via DSL,
you really are a second class citizen on the Internet, and there isn't
much that can be done about it.

                                        - Ted