RE: digital signature request

2004-02-25 14:43:13
On 25 Feb 2004 at 12:16, Neil Carpenter wrote:

the value in having the list processor sign all posts
is simple.  guaranteed identification of the list
traffic for any recipient who decides to verify
signatures.

This seems to solve a non-problem.  Unless there are spam messages that
where the sender has, for instance, forged the existing "Sender:
owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org" header, signing these messages will add
nothing of
value.  It seems much more likely that a spammer would simply send
e-mail to the ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org list & allow the list itself to
propagate it
than that they would specifically forge that header.

again, i'm not imagining that having the list
processor sign all mail will stop spam from entering
the list.  the problem i need to solve is how to stop
spam from being sent *directly* to me.  accepting only
email with whitelisted signatures will solve my
problem.

btw, i thought you needed to be subscribed to the ietf
list prior to being able to post to the ietf list?