Re: digital signature request

2004-02-26 09:56:58

Vernon Schryver wrote:

The spam problem starts with accepting mail from strangers.

This phrase is a good soundbite. I'd add:

The spam problem starts with *freely* accepting mail from strangers.

If we force strangers to jump some hoops before their email can reach
our mailboxes, it seems clear to me that we can still keep receiving
email from strangers. Accountability (as in the "email caller ID" proposal
by Microsoft) and identification (by requiring digital signatures) are
not enough. They are locally restricted in the application of laws,
jurisdiction, and enforcement. Rogue messages due to spoofing, worms and
virus cannot be prevented either. Spam could still contaminate list
traffic, even if list messages are signed by the listserver. Rubbish
in, rubbish  out.

Even though the pain is at the output, the problem is not at the
output. The problem is at the input, when we freely accept email
from strangers.  We need to provide mechanisms (plural) for
selectively locking the input.

Comments?

Cheers,
Ed Gerck