Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-02-27 09:19:41
At 9:29 AM -0500 02/27/2004, John Leslie wrote:
   While I am _very_ sympathetic to the need to limit the discussion,
I really don't see how anything useful can be accomplished if the
chair rules "principles of spam-abatement" to be irrelevant.

Perhaps this would be clearer:  The BoF proposes that the IETF
take on a particular engineering task, with a specific scope and
an intended effect.  It is within the purview of the BoF to discuss
whether that is the right scope, whether the intended effect
is a good idea, and so on.  General discussion of the "principles
of spam-abatement" , however, is out of scope (largely because such discussions
tend to be non-terminating and will swamp the more focused engineering
discussion).  But the context of  the "is this the right scope, and a good
idea" no doubt includes the participants understandings of those principles.
                        regards,
                                Ted Hardie