Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-02-29 20:09:44
John,

JL>    While I am _very_ sympathetic to the need to limit the discussion,
JL> I really don't see how anything useful can be accomplished if the
JL> chair rules "principles of spam-abatement" to be irrelevant.

It is a small matter of seeking to have a productive meeting.

Discussion about the definition of spam or other broad topics, such as
principles of abatement are certainly important, but they also suffer
from a) taking a long time, and b) tending not to converge on a rough
consensus agreement.

By contract, discussion of specific techniques can be very efficient.
 This falls under the category of "I may not know much about spam, but
 I know what spam control mechanisms I like".

Yes, there are weaknesses in this approach, but they aren't as bad as
wasting an entire BOF debating philosophy.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>