Re: MBONE access?

2004-03-03 22:21:56

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

What you are saying is that for religious reasons you are unwilling to use
FREE and widely used tools in order to help us develop our own.

The focus in clients is a little misguided...

There's a reasonable cross-section of clients for most platforms the
supports a set of mostly interoperable codecs and transports. It is
possible to source with real/darwin streaming server/videolan a source
that will be visbile to users of quicktime/real/vlc and some other clients
via multicast or unicast transports. In order to do that you have to be
somewhat selective about which codecs, and features you use.

The transport is an issue. 500Kb/s isma mpeg-4 streams have a real cost if
you want 200 of them...

If you want variable-rate codecs that support clients at an number of
rates simultaniously you may have to forgoe interoperabilty in favor of a
single client platform. If you want slides and video in seperate windows
you need smil but there are no interoperable smil implementations.

The thing I consider most unworkable frankly is low-bitrate video... I
don't consider a 40 80 100Kb/s streams terribly usable regardless of the
codec chosen, I want to be able to read the slides, I want to be able hear
the speakers from someplace other than the bottom a barrel and I want to
be able to discern who's standing at the mic.

Next thing you'll be telling me PDF is a bad thing.

I have deep ambivalence towards pdf but that's a seperate issue for a
different forum.

If you want the IETF to be a place where more people can participate you
need to ditch some of this religion.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj