Re: MBONE access?

2004-03-05 23:30:59
jseng(_at_)pobox(_dot_)org(_dot_)sg (James Seng) writes:

FYI, I didnt get mbone since 1995 when I stop working for an ISP.  I have
managed to get any of my current ISPs to get it either.  It is time we
have to admit mbone is not going mainstream.

today shep reminded me that we (shepfarm and isc, with help from cisco,
juniper, procket, verio, and a cast of others) are supporting some number
of mbone-like tunnels designed to glue otherwise disconnected "walled gardens"
together, with touchdowns on fix-west, paix-sfba, and equinix-sj.  naturally
there'll be pressure toward (and aid offered toward) "going native", but
other than that these tunnels are free of cost.  "We *Can* Fix This."

ps: https://helixcommunity.org/ - Real player (or at least Helix, the
Open Source version of it) is available on multiplatform.

if that increases the market for realnetworks' proprietary server-side
products, and if realnetworks is still doing absolutely no confirmation
on e-mail addresses they send bulk e-mail to, then i'll probably continue
to boycott that application suite, no matter how free the players are.
--
Paul Vixie