Re: [ga] LatinoamerICANN publica versión en españolde los Estatutos del ICANN

2004-03-12 18:17:32
Stephane and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 03:09:16PM +0100,
 Vittorio Bertola <vb(_at_)bertola(_dot_)eu(_dot_)org> wrote
 a message of 19 lines which said:

that posting in English is a significant additional effort for many
of us - not to mention speaking in English at physical meetings or
even from a podium...

It is clearly a problem in every international forum: IETF or RIPE
(which are supposed to allow the participation of everyone on an equal
basis) are quite difficult to master if you are not very proficient in
spoken english.

  I have two responses and/or suggested remedies.

1.) If the UN can handle it, who cannot the IETF, Ripe or ICANN now
be able to do so.  Answer:  They really don't want to... Suggestion:
Take the time an effort to provide for translators [ Human type ] and/or
acquire the available software to do real time language translation,
both written or spoken.

2.) As English is the international language of choice, perhaps those
that cannot or do not speak, read or write English should take the
personal responsibility to learn.  [ This is the I don't know how many
times
I have suggested this time I have made this recommendation ].

  I as an individual have taken the time as an American to learn to
speak chinese, read, write and speak Spanish, Read and speak
pretty good French, and have spoken German most of my life.
If I can accomplish this, than surely many ICANN, Ripe, and
IETF folks that do not comprehend english very well can at
least learn to do so fairly proficiently.  Failing to take that
reasonable and well advised responsibility by any of these
organizations forum's participants to master English is nothing
more than pure lazieness or inconsideration for the majority
of stakeholders/users that speak and/or read english more
than adequately...

Regards,
--
Jeffrey A. Williams
    Pierre Abelard

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
E-Mail jwkckid1(_at_)ix(_dot_)netcom(_dot_)com
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827