Re: [ga] LatinoamerICANN publica versión en españolde los Estatutos delICANN

2004-03-23 08:28:31
On Mon March 22 2004 22:48, Jeff Williams wrote:

Dave Aronson wrote:
Erick's
post in Spanish, should have included a English translation.  It
didn't! When I pointed that out I was personally and professionally
attacked.

Having not seen the original, I can't say for sure, but it may be that
you were attacked for *how* you said it, not *what* you said.  (Let's
not get sidetracked into a discussion of the merits of that
possibility, only ack that it *is* a possibility.)

3)  We don't have anywhere near the money to do all the
translating the UN does, let alone distributed in real-time like
they do.

  We?  Is there a mouse in your pocket?

No, I'm just happy to see you.  ;-)

ICANN certainly has the
funding or can acquire it.  So can or does the IETF...

Okay, let's crunch some numbers.  Let's assume only one full-time
translator (surely these lists, plus the assorted WGs, could keep a
full-time translator busy), for only each of the top ten languages, and
only for the email lists, not board meetings, presentations, etc.  (It
should be easy to come up with that many major languages with native
speakers in the lists.)  Let's assume they get paid $50k (I have no
clue how realistic that is, but it's surely within a binary order of
magniture), plus another 50% in benefits.  That's $750k.  That's well
over 10% of FY04's projected ICANN revenue of about $7M.  Okay, so
technically maybe they could afford it, especially with a 10% hike in
registrar fees, or 10% growth in business... but not so easily, nor
with so few better things to spend it on, that I think the board
wouldn't just laugh.

--
Dave Aronson, Senior Software Engineer, Secure Software Inc.
Email me at: work (D0T) 2004 (@T) dja (D0T) mailme (D0T) org