Re: [ga] LatinoamerICANN publica versión en españolde los Estatutos delICANN

2004-03-15 19:35:39
Dave and all,

Dave Aronson wrote:

Jeff Williams wrote (though I get the impression he's summarizing other
people's objections, not raising them himself, as he then answers
them):

 I sure did, and for what should have been an obvious reason.  It seems
in your case Dave, what is plainly obvious escapes you.  That is indeed
a sad commentary on the IETF...

 > 1.) If the UN can handle it, who cannot the IETF, Ripe or ICANN now
 > be able to do so.

The primary answer is almost certainly two factors:

  I am glad  you qualified wit "Almost certainly"!  >;)

1)  The people at the UN are, generally speaking, career diplomats.
Knowing foreign languages and cultures is part of their way of life.

  This is true in some UN agencies, and certainly not in others as
several are almost entirely volunteers...

Even if they do not know the particular language someone else is
speaking in, they should at least be basically familiar with the most
popular languages of the world.

  Agreed as should most IETF'ers or ICANN'ers as they espouse to
be an international organization.  So Erick in this instance should have
been easily to be able to provide an english translation as would be
in keeping with good manners.  However he did not...

I would bet that over 90% of the
diplomats at the UN could present a speech in ungrammatical and heavily
accented but still passable English -- and that over 80% of them would
understand the major points of it, with no translators.

  I would agree.  As should most people of Spanish nationality that
are not diplomats the I have met or conversed with on many occasions,
including small children..  So I cannot see why Erick was unable or
unwilling as well as complaining of mostly english speaking folks
on the DNSO GA forum amongst other forums to post in "passable"
english when knowing full well most of the participants are English
only speaking/reading/writing.

2)  Much more importantly: money.  If someone wishes to donate enough
money to construct an IETF Assembly Building, with infrastructure to
support translator booths and headphones at all desks, plus hire all
the appropriate translators, not to mention find a friendly place that
will waive all the property tax on it, go right ahead.  I'm not holding
my breath.

  Good thing you are not holding your breath as I also am very doubtful
that any of the so called "Friends" of the IETF that could easily effect
these freebies/gimmies.  I am sure several of Vint Cerf's buddies such
as George Soros could get most of this accomplished in less than
two weeks, after all WCOM/MCI did save themselves $9B in
stock value.  Ooops, that is a fraud situation, I forgot!  >;)

 > 2.) As English is the international language of choice,

To coin a Yogi-Berra-ism, English is the lingua franca of the modern
world.  B-)

  You know Yogi turned down a very prestigious job at the UN..  >;)
So it aint over till it's over, eh?  >;)

--
Dave Aronson, Senior Software Engineer, Secure Software Inc.
Email me at: work (D0T) 2004 (@T) dja (D0T) mailme (D0T) org

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
    Pierre Abelard

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
E-Mail jwkckid1(_at_)ix(_dot_)netcom(_dot_)com
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827