Re: Apology Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-15 19:21:06

"Dr. Jeffrey Race" wrote:
I just want to move the
discussion from the present 'make the victims pay' model  to the only
one that will ever work, viz. 'make the polluters pay'.

This reminds me of that story where the purported polluter (the lamb) was
downstream but was killed anyway by the enforcer (the lion who was
drinking upstream)...because the "polluter" had no power to resist the
enforcer, even though the "polluter" could not pollute upstream...

The Internet is to the user and the SPs like that lamb is to that lion. The
user is the weak party and we should not have a standard that, once again,
leaves the weak party exposed under the assumption that the other party
is somehow trusted. "Trust no one" should be the initial state of the
solution, for any solution.

BTW, how can we talk about "actions that have consequences" in terms of a
technical solution that the IETF can pursue? The consequences are not
technical. In addition, they would need to be arbitrated and we know how
long, ineffective and expensive that can be.

It is fun,
easy to do, shows fast results, and is proven by thousands of years
of experience.

???

Cheers,
Ed Gerck