Re: [ga] LatinoamerICANN publica versión en españolde los Estatutos delICANN

2004-03-16 09:34:51
On Mon March 15 2004 23:19, Jeff Williams wrote:
Dave Aronson wrote:
Jeff Williams wrote (though I get the impression he's summarizing
other people's objections, not raising them himself, as he then
answers them):

 I sure did, and for what should have been an obvious reason.  It
seems in your case Dave, what is plainly obvious escapes you.  That
is indeed a sad commentary on the IETF...

Well excuuuuuuuuuse... meeeeee!!!  B-P  Your diatribe that I responded
to, was the first appearance of this thread on the IETF list, at least
according to my trash-folder.  Looks like you crossposted it.  If you
don't want our input, then don't bother us.

1)  The people at the UN are, generally speaking, career
diplomats. Knowing foreign languages and cultures is part of their
way of life.

  This is true in some UN agencies, and certainly not in others as
several are almost entirely volunteers...

Fair enough.  I was speaking mainly of the General Assembly delegates,
though they are a minority of the entirety of UN employees, observers,
etc.  Even regarding the others, the UN's entire point is international
cooperation for basically its own sake (even if specific agencies have
more specific missions).  It seems obvious to me that they will be more
often people who have an interest in foreign languages, than will most
other groups, even those that operate internationally.

Even if they do not know the particular language someone else is
speaking in, they should at least be basically familiar with the
most popular languages of the world.

  Agreed as should most IETF'ers or ICANN'ers as they espouse to
be an international organization.

I suspect that many, if not most, of us would still be here even if the
network were only available in our own respective nations.  (Though
admittedly, it would then be less useful, especially to the smaller
nations.)  That it lets me also communicate with the other side of the
world is great, but frankly, the vast majority of the people I
communicate with via the Internet, live here in the US.  So, the
international aspect of it is not as important *to me* (I won't presume
to speak for anyone else), as (I ass-u-me) the UN's is to its people.
Again, recall that the international aspect is basically the entire
point of the UN....

So Erick in this instance should
have been easily to be able to provide an english translation as
would be in keeping with good manners.  However he did not...

Whatever.  Remember, the IETF list did not get the background messages
to which you refer.

Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders
strong!) "Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from
others" - Pierre Abelard

"Be conservative in what you send, and liberal in what you accept."
-Popular paraphrasing of Jon Postel from RFC 791 (Internet Protocol)

--
Dave Aronson, Senior Software Engineer, Secure Software Inc.
Email me at: work (D0T) 2004 (@T) dja (D0T) mailme (D0T) org