Re: [ga] LatinoamerICANN publica versión en españolde los Estatutos delICANN

2004-03-22 07:09:29
On Wed March 17 2004 02:44, Jeff Williams wrote:
Dave Aronson wrote:
Well excuuuuuuuuuse... meeeeee!!!  B-P  Your diatribe that I
responded to, was the first appearance of this thread on the IETF
list, at least according to my trash-folder.

  No excuse Dave as  this thread originated on the DNSO GA forum,
and your previous response did a disservice to others on that forum
by you removing ga(_at_)gnso(_dot_)icann(_dot_)org from the recipients of
that forum.

Crossposting leads to missed connections, whether on email lists or
Usenet, so I generally don't post discussions to multiple lists or
newsgroups.  I'll leave it in this time....

 > > 1)  The people at the UN are, generally speaking, career
 > > diplomats. Knowing foreign languages and cultures is part of
 > > their way of life.
 >
 >   This is true in some UN agencies, and certainly not in others
 > as several are almost entirely volunteers...

Fair enough.  I was speaking mainly of the General Assembly
delegates, though they are a minority of the entirety of UN
employees, observers, etc.

  Well sorry again Dave, but you are still mistaken.  Most of the UN
General Assembly delegates are english speakers and all while in
the general assembly meetings have real time translation capability
both ways...

That was part of my point.  To recap, it is basically threefold, and I
think we're almost fully in agreement:

1)   Unlike the UN delegates, we (IETF, ICANN, etc.) aren't in a
profession where one could reasonably expect us to generally be so
proficient in so many foreign languages, that we could be expected to
read a given language, even a fairly widespread one like Spanish.  (All
the more so since so many of us are Americans.  As the old joke goes,
someone who knows two languages is bilingual, someone who knows three
languages is trilingual, and someone who knows only one language is
American.)  As it happens, I know enough French, and smatterings of
Spanish and Latin, that I could probably understand most of the gist of
something written in Spanish, or maybe even Portugese or Italian, but
that's just me.  An American who chose to learn, say, Russian or
Japanese, when I opted for French, might be totally lost in Spanish.

2)  The exception to #1 is a very basic proficiency in English (even if
with a heavy accent, limited vocabulary, and bad grammar and spelling),
since it is the lingua franca of today's world, especially in computers
and business.  All the more so for someone whose native tongue is
something closely related like any Romance or Germanic language, as
opposed to an Asian or African language.  It makes far more sense to
post to lists such as these in broken English, than perfect Spanish.

3)  We don't have anywhere near the money to do all the translating the
UN does, let alone distributed in real-time like they do.

 Even regarding the others, the UN's entire point is international
cooperation for basically its own sake (even if specific agencies
have more specific missions).  It seems obvious to me that they
will be more often people who have an interest in foreign
languages, than will most other groups, even those that operate
internationally.

  You MAY have a good point here I will grant you.  But it is a
speculative point at least...

Agreed....

However as the UN is and has been
less than well respected on an international basis for various
reasons based on repeated errors in judgment and subsequent action
they as a international body, hardly are representative in any
superior way to many other international bodies that are not UN
related...

I purposely avoided making any comments on the effectiveness,
efficiency, etc. of the UN, as those really aren't germane to the
points we were both making.  However, I happen to mostly agree....

--
Dave Aronson, Senior Software Engineer, Secure Software Inc.
Email me at: work (D0T) 2004 (@T) dja (D0T) mailme (D0T) org